Posted at 6:10 p.m. on December 7, 2017
The Brillion News
The state Department of Transportation is asking drivers to take it easy as the first significant snowfall arrives on Friday (December 8).
With snowfall already affecting parts of northern Wisconsin, flurries are expected to spread Friday afternoon to the southern and eastern parts of the state with higher amounts toward Lake Michigan. This could lead to snow covered roads and limited visibility.
For the latest weather information, drivers are encouraged to check National Weather Service forecasts at www.weather.gov, prior to travel.
If driving, make sure to:
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights before driving.
- Go slow. Posted speed limits are for dry pavement.
- Save plenty of room for stopping.
- Leave room for maintenance vehicles and plows.
- Use brakes carefully. Brake early.
- Watch for slippery bridge decks.
- Don’t get overconfident in your 4×4 vehicle.
- Never use cruise control in winter driving conditions.
To receive up-to-date information prior to travel, use 511 Wisconsin, the state’s 24/7/365 travel information service, by visiting www.511wi.gov, accessing the free smartphone app, checking @511WI on Twitter, or calling 5-1-1.