Posted at 10:20 a.m. on Tuesday, November 10, 2020
The Brillion News
HILBERT - A contractor doing excavation work accidentally severad a natural gas pipe near Sargento Foods' Hilbert production facility on Tuesday morning, November 10.
As a result, the factory was shut down and employees evacuated by school bus to the Hilbert Community Center and fire station.
The Hilbert and Potter fire departments responded, and secured the scene. Firefighters said they could smell the natural gas and hear the hiss of the line rupture.
The fire departments and Calumet County Sheriff's Department shut down State 57/32 (Eighth Street) from Main Street south to County PP.
By 9 a.m. the flow of gas through the severed line had been stopped.